- Maass's Writing the Breakout Novel (both the book and the workbook)
- Debra Dixon's Goal, Motivation and Conflict. She called it a "turning point" book for her.
- For plot, she thinks Kernen's Building Better Plots is among the best out there
- For revision she like Madden's Revision.
- She also likes Schmidt's Story Structure Architect and Cowden and LeFever's Complete Writer's Guide to Heroes and Heroines: Sixteen Master Archetypes.
My favorites are:
- Bernay's and Painter's What If: Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers.
- Page's The Shortest Distance Between You and a Published Book (more for non-fiction and after the book is written)
- As a mystery writer, I love Ephron's Writing & Selling Your Mystery Novel: How To Knock 'Em Dead With Style
- Wheat's How to Write Killer Fiction is pretty good
- As is Beinhart's How to Write a Mystery
- King and Browne's Self-Editing for Fiction Writers
What are yours?