1. My first story was about a woman named Maggie who was crushed by a log rolling off a log truck. I was in third or fourth grade. I just liked the drama of it all.
2. My favorite snack in high school was called “Pizza Spins.” Obviously, I doomed them by liking them. They went the way of Quisp cereal and Space Food Sticks.
3. I know how to camel walk (as in belly dance).
4. I was the world’s pickiest eater as a kid, but one of my favorite foods was lima beans. Don’t tell anyone, but edamame kind of taste like lima beans.
5. I sent a story to Roald Dahl when I was 11, and he helped get it published. It was about a six-foot tall frog who liked peanut butter.
6. I time everything – how long I run, how long I write, how long I can do something before I am allowed to do something else. I also count things. I have self-diagnosed this as mild OCD.
7. I call my mom every morning and have since my dad died. We fought all through high school. Now we're very close.
8. I cannot walk in high heels. Last time I tried, my girlfriend started laughing so hard she fell off the couch and told me I looked like a transvestite.