Well, if you were this were Stephanie Smith, a former children's dance instructor who is now paralyzed from the waist down, it came from "a mix of slaughterhouse trimmings and a mash-like product derived from scraps that were ground together at a plant in Wisconsin. The ingredients came from slaughterhouses in Nebraska, Texas and Uruguay, and from a South Dakota company that processes fatty trimmings and treats them with ammonia to kill bacteria.."
Yes. You read that right. Uruguay. And ammonia. And a "mash-like product." Although that ammonia didn't do any good. She still got sickened with e coli. She uses a wheelchair. It looks like she will need a kidney transplant. She is 22.
And tests show that large amounts of e coli remained on a cutting board even after washing it with soap - using the so-called "safe handling instructions."
After reading this, I'm thinking of only buying ground beef at Costco, buying Bubba Burgers, or doing without. Read more about hamburgers and what they are made of here.