- Turn to a random page in the dictionary or thesaurus and select a word. Make a list of 20 things that occur to you from that word.
- Stop where you are, skip ahead and write another scene. (I use this all the time)
- Stop and do some research. Talk to an expert, read a book, Google an article.
- Bring a new character into the scene. Make it a startling entrance. Figure out how to justify it later.
- Open a novel at random and find some dialog. Take the first line you see and put it in the mouth of your POV character and start writing a scene from there.
What do you do when you get stuck?